Friday, May 7, 2010

Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep

A few years ago when I first heard about the organization Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep I knew I wanted to be a volunteer. Life got in the way and I never looked into applying.

This is an amazing volunteer opportunity that is close to my heart. They are photographers who donate free portrait sessions for families who have delivered a still born baby or a baby that is not expected to survive. No parent should ever have to face this but unfortunately many do and one of them was my best friend. In 2003 I visited her in the hospital as she was preparing to deliver her precious baby boy who they knew had passed away sometime the night before. It was the most gut wrenching experience to see the pain they were in. Luckily for them a year later to the exact day, she gave birth to a baby girl, Olivia who I love to death. I took care of her when she was an infant until she was 2.5 years old when I got pregnant with my twins. Olivia has been featured here on my blog many times and her 6th birthday is coming up so you'll be seeing her again soon.

To become an affiliated photographer, you need to apply and be accepted. I applied a couple of months ago and got the word the other day that I was accepted. I am very proud and even though I know it is going to be emotionally difficult, I am looking forward to helping families remember this very important member of their family.

This is a video from the Today show where they featured NILMDTS. Yes, you will cry.

No comments: